You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, welcome to AION Europe - UK. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 12:02am

Templar - Not sure I'm getting it

Hello!

I'm currently levelling my first character on this game - an Elyos Templar - and even though I've read online they're a little bit more challenging to level than other classes, I think I must be doing something wrong - I'm level 56 in full Sunsoaked, socketed Crit manastones, and the Aturam Sky Fortress instance is teaching me a thing or two about getting my face handed to me :(

I've a GS and S&B (I swap between them in battle to use all my cooldowns), and I haven't managed to complete a great many of the advanced stigma quests to unlock more slots, so I'm running with Bodyguard (as I Dred when it is available), punishment, divine fury and Doom Lure.

I try to pull enemies one at a time, keep Rage up as much as possible and spam every attack I have whenever it's off cooldown, and I still seem to lose about 60-70% HP per fight on the mobs. Is this normal, or am I doing something woefully wrong that some kind soul can call me a noob for and show me the right way?

Thanks in advance :)

Quon

Sage

Legion: (≧◡≦)

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 12:24am

Well Aturam is a bit hard honestly, the mobs can be a real pain. Make sure to get the attack speed buff (the yellow dot here if I'm not mistaken), it should help quite a bit. Also if you're using the default language pack, you can get some helpful items from the chest next to the friendly Balaur gentleman just inside!

As for the stigma quests, what is the problem? For the first three you just need to do SR Cabin once and the daily groggie quest like.. once or twice, and you're set, then it's a single run of Taloc's Hollow. The Inggison quest can be a bit bothersome depending on Asmodian activity on your server, but shouldn't be too hard. Try to get these quests done as soon as possible, it's nice having more stigma slots (:

But at any rate it's nothing unusual to get beaten up a bit in Aturam. The mobs have more HP compared to lower level normals, and they pack a punch. So don't worry!

fix ur forum login and don't forget: it's not thread derailment if u enjoy it

Kushi

Professional

Legion: Explicit

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 12:52am

Also try to 'control' mobs. Stun them when they're casting a skill, try to always give the best dps by knocking them down (and Break Power right after).

And you should really unlock all 12 stigma slots so you will be able to get Empyrean Fury, 2nd lure and some useful buffs.
Kushii ~Templar

Templar PvP Ep. 1 Ep. 2

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 1:15am

Yeah, I've been stunning and interrupting and stuff. I tend to use Doom Lore purely as an interrupt when solo, as it's a godsend as one.

I discovered those items you were talking about and basically now everything's fine. Being able to instantly fully heal myself every 5 minutes totally sorted it all out, and good lord is it fun driving that steam punk ball robot in the second half.

The issue with the Stigma quests is that I just can't get groups! I've done the soloable ones, but trying to get into groups, I use the server-wide queue system and I wait for like 2 hours and nothing :( guess I was just unlucky, I'll try again soon.

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely try to get more slots and use the stigmas you recommended. Loving this game so far, it's so much prettier and more polished than other MMO's I've tried. I'm glad to hear it isn't me sucking ^^;

Quon

Sage

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 1:33am

You really don't need groups for your stigmas darling, even the 55 one is easily soloable! Perhaps you're getting confused because the quests tell you to bring items from instances. However, there's this little shugo right next to the Steel Rake entrance in Sanctum, who has a daily quest for groggies, and you can buy your quest items with those. The only annoying thing is doing the first Inggison campaigns for Taloc entry!

Hope that helps, and if it doesn't, then come back to us, we'll help ^^ have fun!

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 2:18am

there's this little shugo right next to the Steel Rake entrance in Sanctum, who has a daily quest for groggies, and you can buy your quest items with those
Mind=blown, Stigma slot=unlocked.

Thank you so much, haha. I had no idea I could do that. :D

[NICK]henteww

Professional

Legion: Lubricant

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 9:35am

Screw me sideways and call me Daisy do we truly have a beginner here whos capable of utilizing his/her own brain properly enough to learn the game by themselves?
I salute you, most impressive! It's always a pleasure to see someone non braindead around.

You seem to be doing nothing wrong, really. Having already had people tell you how to obtain moar Stigma slots and so on and so on the only "problem" I could spot from your texts relates to:
I'm running with Bodyguard (as I Dred when it is available), punishment, divine fury and Doom Lure.

Bodyguard is useless when solo. There's no more simple way to say it.
Myself, for example, I tend to only equip BG in before [you name it] group activity (Dredgion is a fine example) but othrewise keep the slot for something (anything) else.
Tatari - Lv60+ Asmodian Cleric, Perento
Ningyou - Lv50 Asmodian Spiritmaster twink, Perento

Ahegao - Lv65 Asmodian Templar, Anuhart
Pewpewww - Lv55 Asmodian Ranger twink, Anuhart
Taihen - Lv65 Asmodian Aethertech, Anuhart
Shokushu - Lv55 Asmodian Gladiator twink, Anuhart

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 3:40pm

So, I spent today completing many Stigma quests and equipping the higher level Stigma skills.

Even looking at the numbers, I can tell that I've been missing out on some very important abilities. Empyrean Fury seems to just increase my DPS by half 1/3 of the time, and Break Power is like Pitiless Blow (previously my favourite skill) pumped up on steroids.

Thanks for all the help everyone - I was so focused on levelling during the XP event that I just gained XP as fast as possible, not realising that getting these stigmas set up would basically double the speed I can complete content in and therefore double my XP rate, haha.

Can't believe I was so nooby as to be running around missing like 8 of my best abilities haha!

And to henteww, yes, I will be swapping BG in and out. I had been reserved about swapping Stigma in and out because I didn't realise how rare or valuable Stigma Shards were, but I can see they're pretty much trivial to acquire now, so swapping specs around seems a lot more viable than it did.

Quon

Sage

Saturday, October 19th 2013, 3:53pm

Don't forget to do the two quests from Tiamaranta forts as soon as they're available to you (not sure, they might be 58+ though?) as they have piles of stigma shards as rewards, on top of shinier things such as mithril medals. There's shards also as reward from completing the 5 kills quests for arena, though it may not be very easy to do this at the moment, as you have no PvP gear.

Also I wholeheartedly agree with forum user henteww ^^ hope you enjoy the game and stick around!

Legion: Almost Skilled

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 6:30pm

1.as the friendly forum folks pointed out, UNLOCK ALL your stigma slots (the greater slots are must)
2.Get the dps stigma tree, it's the one that ends in Shieldburst (stigma) (the other one is the PVE tree). You won't need the last two stigmas ( Punishing Wave + Shieldburst ).

basically you need everything up until EMPYREAN FURY + Punishment + Inquisitor's Blow.

3. Your gear is abit...mhm lets just say you can do better.
4. In order to increase your dps, you have to make use of the "forward movement damage bonus". Now I cannot stress enough how vital this is. Notice the arrow that appears when you move forward and your weapon is drawn? That's the THANG yo!. You need to have that activated when you wanna increase your dps output.

You achieve that by making circles around the monster/enemy whilst staying in melee ranger and hitting with your skills. You need footwork!!!

5. Practice your footwork.
6. Get comfortable with weaving (search forums/youtube there should be a guide)
7. Practice, practice, practice.
OOOOOOOOR consider re-rolling to another more user-friendly class with a less abrupt learning-curve.

if you don't want to and feel the class is appealing, be prepared to face some frustrations and mediocre class gameplay (unless you somehow remove part of your brain responsible for self-awareness idk)

joke aside, you could watch some templar streams on twitch.tv or browse youtube for some korean templar gameplay or a very popular fella on youtube is eureka (https://www.youtube.com/user/StarryTemplar) to give you a feel of what it is you should be doing, how it's suppose to look like and an overall better understanding of what it means to play the class competitively. There is other's of course but they are a bit more difficult to pin down and watch so I linked you the most 'accessible' templar and media embedded. And I stress on the "feeling" part coz you should get a feeling, you'll know.

As with most things in life, they got learning-curves...templar's is a bit abrupt, i dont know. it's a cool class tho, with personality.

Welcome to the game I guess, it's really not often that AION gets newcomers, becoz of reasons too long to debate here. Sure it's understandable why for us, but yea...the game is pretty solid, the PVP is good (with some frustrating exceptions) and the PVE has become more and more challenging with every patch.

Have fun yo.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "[NICK]suiztight" (Nov 22nd 2013, 6:52pm)