You are not logged in.

• Login

Dear visitor, welcome to AION Europe - UK. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Derpatron

Professional

• "Derpatron" started this thread

Thursday, September 19th 2013, 11:14am

FPS Issues in sieges

So I haven't been to any sieges for months and just joined my first siege in katalam yesterday. Now I've had some issues at siege regarding my FPS. My hardware (which should be too good for this game imo):

• Default Game Engine, not the HQ
  • GTX680
  • 8GB ram @ 1600mhz
  • i2500k @ 4.1ghz (overclocked, defaults to 3.3ghz I believe)
  • SSD: OCZ Vector 256GB
  • Resolution: 1920x1200 on 1 monitor
  • Some tweaked values in NVidia Control panel such as pre-rendered frames set to 1 and some things set to performance.

I was standing on an obelisk teleport spot somewhere in South Katalam with a league. Logically I had lower FPS, while usually in pretty much every instance (Except TH for some reason), I have 60 FPS (vertical sync). However, during just this standing still, I had only 21FPS on average. I figured, maybe the Anti Alias is bottlenecking it as it's to x8. I turned it off, maybe 1 FPS improvement.

I have turned down shadows to the minimal value possible and I gained about 4 to 5 FPS. Anything else I turned down, I got no FPS improvement. I have tried Fixed FPS, only a minor improvement and it went up to 28~30 FPS. The only thing that seemed to really fix this was SHIFT F12 (which I sort of understand, but shouldn't be required on my machine!!)

As the siege started, we flew into the fortress and started hitting the gate. Even with SHIFT F12 and Fixed FPS, I had around 24 FPS, I actually had to turn off effects to self in order to reach 30 FPS. With my hardware, this game should be able to run maxed in sieges with up to 100 people. I can play Planetside 2 with 40 FPS while that's a very heavy game. I can play WoW maxed out in big cities with over 40 FPS, but Aion doesn't want to get above 25 FPS.

I know Aion is poorly optimized, but even with the latest drivers (both Directx 9.0c and Nvidia), I shouldn't have these problems... Note that this is a 32bit on W8, should I perhaps try the 64bit again if it's fixed?
Anyone - Spatasmo
Derpatron - Anufart ely

Thursday, September 19th 2013, 1:42pm

I'm sorry to tell you but this game can't run sieges in maxed FPS.
Why? i don't know. The best guess is the old Cry engine it runs on.

As far as i know the only things you can do is fix fps and shift f12 to get the most optimized fun.

I have ran both 32 bit and 64 bit in a siege and the difference was 3 FPS. on the HQ engine, maybe the non hq engine gives you slightly more boost but i think it won't overcap 35 FPS

To get to your last question. Running on 64 bit can be done but not supported by Gameforge.
When it gets supported maybe we can give it a try and maybe get more performance out of it but i doubt it.

Thursday, September 19th 2013, 4:14pm

I tried the 64bit version a few times and always gave up for months - some annoying bugs, no benefits (not running faster or such) and the loading time actually doubled compared to 32bit.

I wonder if the lag at sieges could have something to do with updating the player positions and what they do being the bottleneck. Maybe there's something that needs to be optimized.

I also notice that the sound sometimes cuts down because too many sound effects are tried to be played (for all the pets and such). Those are not hidden with shift-f12 and with a full league sum up to quite an amount. I tried a lot of settings, but I was entirely unable to mute them or even hide them completely from me. Apparantly noble energies, siege weapons and such do not fall under the UI category "hide other players pets" :(

Quon

Sage

Legion: less talk more pew pew!

Thursday, September 19th 2013, 4:47pm

The biggest difference would come from setting the textures to minimum, as you noticed nothing else will significantly increase performance. Fixed FPS is trash, don't use it.

fix ur forum login and don't forget: it's not thread derailment if u enjoyed it

Archangel Ady

Intermediate

Thursday, September 19th 2013, 6:45pm

Fix: -Turbo-clock your CPU to 5GHz.
-Set priority to "Above Realtime".
-Overclock your SSD hard (intel has done it again).
-Overclock your memory from 1600MHz to 3000MHz.
-Uninstall all programs except Aion. Force-end process on all processes except Aion.
Edit: Forgot to add: Run Aion on a RAMDisk (Buy 64GBs of RAM).
That should do the trick just fine and you should now get around 35-40 fps with shift + F12 ofc :)
The current profile, Itachi, will be transcended into another profile, thus, the current profile will never be able to answer a forum message again. The new profile will contain a new character in his signature, similar to the original Corvuz but another class, unless fate decides otherwise, the highest gunner-class damage dealing character on Nexus, Corvuz, shall perish and never be resurrected again.

Quon

Sage

Legion: less talk more pew pew!

Friday, September 20th 2013, 10:28am

How fast is your computer going to melt if you do all the above steps?

fix ur forum login and don't forget: it's not thread derailment if u enjoyed it

Derpatron

Professional

• "Derpatron" started this thread

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 12:14pm

That's quite a stupid suggestion. My computer won't melt, it will just explode and say FU.

For something that's such a big part of the game, I can't imagine everyone has these issues.. Why would you design a game around something that the engine can't handle? :/
Anyone - Spatasmo
Derpatron - Anufart ely