Huge Problem - Help for COMPLETELY New Players

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Huge Problem - Help for COMPLETELY New Players

Hello everyone, just started playing 2 weeks ago. I got me a gold pack, im level 42 templar right now, trying to get to end game because of the new 5.0 patch.

I did lots of research throughout these two weeks, and most guides involve this:

-Lots of in-game lingo that only old players or hardcore mmo gamers know.
      -Skill names are changed into shorter variations which leaves new players like me clueless (Eg: EA - Empyrean Armor)
      -ALL the info is for endgame players, and all of it is mainly about what gear to get and how to socket it and how much to enchant it, or how to beat certain classes in pvp, how to finish certain instances.

What they DON'T provide is actual info for fresh players.

So if anyone has time here, can you please help me with the following:

What skills should I use as a 42 templar, and what should I change along the way, and when I reach 65, what skills (you guys call it ''rotation'' or whatever) should I rely on, and what STIGMAS (Special skills??) should I use and rely on from this level onwards.

You cant just keep doing PVE to level as a completely new player, and get to 65 while having 0 knowledge about how to play as your class, especially one that is hard to master like Templars. So right now as a level 40+ (42 to be exact) what should be my rotation? What weapons should I use for instances and/or pvp? Which is better for DPS: Greatsword or Sword/Shield (or any other weapon+shield combo)

What gear should I get? How should I socket it, depending on PVP or PVE.

I know which instances, what things to do and how much it will take to get to 65, but the work to get there, I feel the need to learn how to ACTUALLY play rather than mindlessly use my best skills and do what im /supposed to do/ to help my group (Use buffs, stigmas, sword/shield to tank for my group while they rape the mobs or boss)

I know how to get good kinah, and ive already made about 500kk in a matter of 1.5 weeks as a complete beginner using pretty good tactics (watch sywo san kinah guide or shang lao ''Kinah Talk'' Video for more info)

I would love to get some feedback since I feel clueless and I dont know what to do in PVP, I am so clueless that I dont even participate in PVP.

Thanks a lot in advance :D
    • I'm not even sure why you're worrying about PvP at that level to be honest. Also, you can watch videos of templars for rotations and google pve stigma builds. And as for the "learning" aspect, you will have plenty of time while grinding for months from 66-75, yay. Since you have enough kinah, you can get an AC set already tht you can morph later. Just do the 46 daevanion gear quest and then the 56 one, and you'll get a high daeva weapon at 66. You probably need to learn how to weave, and work on survivability for farming mobs. It also feels like the class discussion sections of the forum are the least looked at...
      Put the money where your mouth is.
    • Dotori wrote:

I'm not even sure why you're worrying about PvP at that level to be honest.
      Would it really be a smart move to be 65 and THEN have my first pvp experience? Everyone is already experienced at that point and I would not know what to do against anyone, also I think it would be benificial to learn my class starting now.

Or is it that Templar only shines at 65? Am I missing lots of key skills? Also, if you have any experience with templar, can you tell me the BEST skills for Mainly DPS and the best skills for being defensive/tanking? And what is generally better for PVP? Should I get a block hp set, wait for the enemy to be on cool down, switch to atk/crit and proceed to rape them?

Also, with AC set, you mean Ancient Coin? What is ''morph''? And im already practicing weaving, its canceling the auto attack animation into another skill before the animation plays, but the damage stays, am I right? or is it something else?
    • Listen.

There is no PvP at low level, except the exceedingly rare twinks with +15 best-in-slot gear with full composite gear and +5 minimum accs from veteran rewards, which will kill you in 2 auto attacks.

What you need to do now, is focus on leveling to level 66, don't worry, you will have literally months, if not years before you reach level 75 to learn your class. Yes you are missing a lot of skills at level 42, and you probably won't stay level 42 for more than max 30 minutes anyway.

The reason why there are no guides explaining what low level people should do is because you won't be staying low level for more than 2 days max (you can get 65 in two days anyway.)

This game is heavily governed by gear. Gear beats skill, period. The only time when skill beats gear is when you outskill your opponent so hard he/she doesn't even know what's going on anymore.
    • You cant just keep doing PVE to level as a completely new player, and get to 65 while having 0 knowledge about how to play as your class, especially one that is hard to master like Templars

In fact you can level to 66+ without ever bothering about how to play the class efficiently. The thing is though that people often expect templars to "work" and to know how certain instances work at least. That's why I bothered asking or watching videos/reading guides a lot.

What weapons should I use for instances and/or pvp? Which is better for DPS: Greatsword or Sword/Shield (or any other weapon+shield combo)

Nowadays you can mostly rely on the Greatsword in PvE, except for a) emergency situations (dead/bad heal, extreme damage etc) or b) add control (for example in Makarna, Tiamat's Hideout, sometimes Steelwallbastion). In PvP it might be useful as well to have a good shield + warhammer/sword for certain situations.
      In general it's the Greatsword though that deals the damage and since 4.8 you don't even really need to switch in PvE to make your rotation work relying on that weapon only.
      I'm playing templar for like 3 years now, but I'm still not that happy about my rotation since it's indeed not that easy to find the balance between being "quick enough" and "not too quick", at least in my opinion. What concerned a lot of templars I gave advice to over the time were their weaving skills. It's important to work on those especially to a) not run out of skills and b) raise your damage output.
      If you use the Aion Rainmeter for example most "good" templars reach about 30-36% of autohit damage in general followed by around 20-25% of Blood Pact.

There exist some guides for weaving like this one:
      youtube.com/watch?v=y8kohMY3ByI (different class, but some explanations)
      Searching for "weaving Templar Aion" on Youtube should do though.

There are many stigmas you can use and the outcome will be in fact similar and due to changes since 4.8 it's not a contradiction nowadays to be 'supportive' on one hand and deal good damage on the other hand. Especially if you rely on the Vision Stigma.
      So in general PvE I run around like this: aion.mouseclic.com/tool/stigma/bACGLMQ65
      Some choose Elimination Strike (higher cooldown, reliable damage) over Punishment (half the cooldown, random damage) - I don't see that much of a difference though in PvE (in PvP I'd probably choose Elimination Strike myself, but I think there're more experienced templars out there concerning PvP).
      If you don't have a Vision Stigma, since it's expensive, you might have to choose something similar to this:
      aion.mouseclic.com/tool/stigma/bZPQILM65
      There are many possibilities for the last slot like Empyrian Providence (high cooldown though), Incur Wrath (additional taunt, for example if you're not that experienced yet), Shield of Faith (only works with shield), Prayer of Resilience (small heal, but some cooldown) or Prayer of Victory (useful to taunt, but high cooldown). Some might go for others as well, but I don't like those that much. So testing it out yourself and finding the best solution might be the way. Especially since different situations may need different stigmas.

how to ACTUALLY play rather than mindlessly use my best skills and do what im /supposed to do/ to help my group (Use buffs, stigmas, sword/shield to tank for my group while they rape the mobs or boss)

The most important thing is to react appropriate to the situation you face. This sounds simple, but it might take a long time to manage. I've seen many templars wasting their important skills for minor situations. For example like Templars prebuffing their Empyrian Armour before they do anything though the skill has the additional effect of healing you for a certain amount - or Templars prebuffing Unwavering Devotion while running towards an assassin who simply hides to avoid it. There are countless things to know about your skills, the others skills etc. So not that easy to cover in one post.

Concerning manastones in PvE it's Critical Strike (the cap here ranges between 1200 and 1400 [Beritra] for most endgame instances, dunno about the new ones, but it's not higher in Adma Ruins for example; in PvP most people aim for 1000-1100 so far) and Attack - in PvP you have different possibilities. I know some templars going for HP/Crit or Crit/(Magical) Accuracy, Crit/Block or just Attack/Crit. I don't think it's my place to give advice on this though. Just avoid at least the HP sets in PvE unless they're only used to kite adds (concerning Makarna) since you a) won't deal damage b) will have more issues keeping aggro against good players and c) won't make clearing general instances more safe (the more damage you deal, the easier it is for the group instead).
      Since there are new manastones in the future you can as well aim for power/accuracy stones from 66 onwards - but these aren't that great unless you have them on ~6+. They provide different stats at the same time, but on the other hand they're more expensive and require upgrading to be really useful.

If you choose to use crit manastones later on you have to consider some things though to not overdo it, like
      • Idians (up to 65 crit)
      • Chanter provides 80 Crit which is generally considered if you think about PvE caps
      • scrolls (125 crit)
      • Food (60 crit)
      Simply mentioning this since I've seen people in forums saying they had like 1200 crit unbuffed to do Katalamize though that was way too much. It's all about buffs that remain the whole time if people ask you in general (though you wouldn't mention the chanter, but if you're expected to deal serious damage you generally have one).

Also, with AC set, you mean Ancient Coin? What is ''morph''?
      Yeah, that's Ancient Coins and the Rune Tribe Set. If you reach 66 you can "upgrade" the gear by buying a morph recipe and change it into level 70 mystic 6 slot gear (can be worn from 66 onwards). So not that bad, but it might be easier and cheaper to aim for gear from Adma ruins for example.

And last but not least...
      watch sywo san

I agree with some of his talking, but according to my opinion he drew the wrong conclusions out of the knowledge he has in fact sometimes. Being a good tank doesn't mean that you have to sit there in your HP +15 set autohitting the boss while taunting. There's more - and it's even more exciting.
    • tbh I dont know how can i gear up with these patch. You need a lot of serums/money for gold feather, for wings some apes, serums for accessories, composites for ap set (we cant get composites cuz there is new manastones and to be better than composites, they must have +8 or more stats). Also need to level up - its pain. THis game isnt friendly to newbies at all. It's impossible to find so much serums for such players
    • i am returning player, used to play as templar, and few weeks ago i created new acc with templar aswell.and reaching 65 is not hard. geting armors/weapons is not hard. you can get from events, or from very easy quests. The bigest problem is rings/earings/belt. IMO, just take greatsword, socket attack, crit strike manastones, to help you kill stuff faster, and go for 66lvl.
    • I am not a pvp player but I do see many people in the main towns duelling with each other. This will help you learn how best to fight against other people/classes.

You also have the cruicible in your main town. (academy/priory) If i remember right you can start going here around level 50/55
      The dredgions also give some group pvp experience.
    • Desperation wrote:

tbh I dont know how can i gear up with these patch. You need a lot of serums/money for gold feather, for wings some apes, serums for accessories, composites for ap set (we cant get composites cuz there is new manastones and to be better than composites, they must have +8 or more stats). Also need to level up - its pain. THis game isnt friendly to newbies at all. It's impossible to find so much serums for such players

Well, most players probably would survive with lower feathers as well - and the normal ones are quite cheap nowadays. Of course all of this is time consuming, but that's the point here partly.
      Getting enchantment stones is even easier compared to before - and upgrading wings isn't too hard either.

Of course it's not that cheap to get some good PvP-Gear with composites, but everyone started somewhere and in PvE it doesn't really matter either at the beginning. Decent PvE gear is even easier to achieve thanks to Adma Ruins/Lab - or morphing Rune stuff in case.
    • First of all, huge thank you for the replies I appreciate it.

So to sum it up, unless you're hardcore asian (korean) gamer who only plays aion and thats his whole life, good gear beats skill, so you dont even need to worry about skill unless someone is equally as geared as you, then its all about experience and what class you're up against.

From all the research I did, it seems like to win at the game you need to have played all classes, know their weak points, cooldowns, to be able to look at gear and realize what you're up against, and act accordingly, so time is the key, a lot of experience wll do.

So basically you either P2W or waste your life away on getting kinah and doing pvp.

My game plan right now is to get to 66, duel with friends, ask templars in game, and get good gear, which requires me to start focusing on gaining kinah to get good gear, which in combination with the new insane leveling times, will be good enough time.

I calculated everything, and I think I need about 50kkk kinah to gear up well (You have to account all the enchantment, the socketing, mount, pet, wings, feather, godstones, stigma etc.)

So, that means... 10 months of grinding to get enough kinah to gear up, like... holy nyerk thats a damn long time.