So you want to Learn Ranger? (Guide)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• So you want to Learn Ranger? (Guide)

So I will first start off by saying welcome to the ranger community and a little about myself.

Who am I and How long have I played ranger?

My character is Xaen and I have played ranger from October 2009, I play on Antriksha Server as Elyos.

Why Am I Doing this Guide ?

I see a lot of the same questions on the forums asking the same thing about gear and stigma's, so i decided to try and make an in depth and informative guide.

Will this Guide be kept up to date?

Currently if all works out well information can be updated by those in the community, I am creating individual Documents on Google Drive and anyone that would like to help update this guide can do so and i can add them to the google drive documents to edit them.

What Manastones does ranger use?

In the past ranger would use composite Manastones.
      Check the link below for those of you who are level 66+
      if you are level 1-65 and leveling I suggest using Crit Strike Manastones for leveling purposes.

What is diminishing returns?

Diminishing returns is when you try to increase a specific Stat such as Accuracy, Crit Strike, Magical Accuracy the more of the new stones you socket the less of these stats you will gain.

Feathersalts Post on Diminishing Returns

High Daeva Manastones

Original Google Drive Spreadsheet, Thanks to the creator for this.
      CP Calculator

My Take on Diminishing returns.
      Diminishing Returns Explanation

Links to Information

Images used in this guide are for reference only.

When my current gear is updated, I will add that as a final reference

Ranger PVP Equipment

Ranger Pve Equipment

Consumables

Manastone's

Ranger Stats

Pvp Stigma's

Stigma's Pve

Power of Creation

Youtube Links!

A video by Sywo San where he talks about Ranger.
      AION 5.0 - Are you a good ranger?

Jump Shot Video.
      Jumpshot

Mufflerman-Slideshot Tutorial
      Slideshot

Weaving Tutorial
      Weaving

Pvp Video's

Let me know what you think should be added and I will update the document when i get time or if you would like to help keep this guide up to date.

Also let me know if any of the links are not working.

The post was edited 18 times, last by [NICK]xaen ().

• Emarosa wrote:

You should revaluate the stats. Ranger needs to land his CC, but with 1.5k magical acc you will barely hit anything. Especially magical classes have a very high base magic resist right now. I would recommend a minimum of 1.8-1.9k! Looking at the Power of creation: Why do you bother with Health? 750 HP is nothing ...

The images used in this are just for reference only a lot of it is outdated gear that is in the process of been updated. I still use Enhanced Hyperion set for Pve, as i said a work in progress the guide and my gear aswell.

Using HP is not a bad thing once you hit a certain point your not going to be able to increase Crit/Acc/M.Acc or even Power because of diminishing returns.

The post was edited 1 time, last by [NICK]xaen ().

• But you completely missed the intention of a Guide by not saying what stats are good for a ranger. You are just showing your own gear with bad socketing. This doesn't help ...
      Using HP is good? :alol: 35 CP wasted for the amount of HP most classes are doing with one single autohit. You are mentioning the diminishing return, but you should be more detailed. How much Accuracy/Power should a Ranger MAX have? what options do I have when I reached the maximum dimishing return. What stats should i minimum have and so on ...

I'm a real nerd when it comes to calculations, stats and stuff. Maybe my expectations for a guide like this are to high.
    • Emarosa wrote:

But you completely missed the intention of a Guide by not saying what stats are good for a ranger. You are just showing your own gear with bad socketing. This doesn't help ...
      Using HP is good? :alol: 35 CP wasted for the amount of HP most classes are doing with one single autohit. You are mentioning the diminishing return, but you should be more detailed. How much Accuracy/Power should a Ranger MAX have? what options do I have when I reached the maximum dimishing return. What stats should i minimum have and so on ...

I'm a real nerd when it comes to calculations, stats and stuff. Maybe my expectations for a guide like this are to high.

As i said work in progress, kinda feels like you want the end result before i am anywhere near close to getting the information that is required to complete and update this.
    • Hi you two, and anyone else who'll be kind enough to reply. I'm on a very low ping, about 22ms stable and so slideshot/jumpshot is very difficult for me to master. Can I just rely on good skills rotation, weaving and very good equip to be any good? I know it depends on the kind of scenario I am in, like open world or instanced, but still I feel I will never learn to slide/jump. Please give me an honest opinion.
    • Hey,

weaving/aac and slide/jump shots are hard to master. I am playing ranger as a main for more than 5 years now and still spending time in Vengar (no people, no lag) with dummies to practice. Usually I am doing this 1-2 times per week for an hour, even more, experimenting with stigmas, etc. What I would suggest you to try for rotation is (using aidps or rainmeter) For lets say 3 minutes on the dummy try to shoot with deadshot after every two skills i.e. gale arrowx2 -> deadshot, stunning,rupture -> deadshot, raging, silent arrow -> deadshot etc. In that case you will not have any cooldowns for any skills and this will increase your overall dmg a lot. This is for PvE of course and weaving/aac included, but even if you dont weave/aac you still will have good results

The post was edited 1 time, last by Ashandarey ().

• Never heard of pve only ranger, Its unnatural some how. Every ranger is both and can give opinion for both builds/stats/way to play. Making a guide is a hard thing, as there are people with different opinions and views about any class. But the basics of the class are the same. The best guide can be made from a discussion and someone who needs help, reading different opinions can test and conclude what is best for him. I.e. I dont like the idea of socketing attack manastones in pvp gear, but I like having some more HP. My old pvp gear was crit/hp 3 parts and 2 parts hp/crit and I felt it OK. Or stigma build ...I can see rangers playing with Sharpen arrows in pvp or with agonizing arrow or explosive arrow. My play style and view of the game are not like this as I like mobility in pvp
    • In my opinion, Rangers have died through evolution in recent patches. Counter of magic classes, sorcs? I think not anymore. The arg stuns, and a lot of m.acc at the expense of DMG (but stun!, cant kill anything, but you can stun them). Rangers die from all classes for a few bunch skills, with high cd on few servi skills. Where most classes got healing skills. Just pointless to play Ranger.

Even in PVE, my alts doing more dmg than my main Ranger (2 lvl higher than them). In PvP where slide shots, jump shot ( I spend tones of hours to master it), this is bug/glitch. Right now its necessary ability to move (by slides, jump-shots), to have any chance with the average player. The mobility of this class is also weak, and buged, becouse of slide shots (bby doing jump, you not moving generally in the air - rangers should noticed that s***). Rangers are too static (in official vision of developers - not buged shots).

The time I have spent on it, is not satisfactory in the effects, even comparing with my current alts where i can enjoy even with dying.

(Eh, nvm, its only my frustration and a little complain about this class. I hate my main now, so im moving to sorc :))

Cheers. It'(z) only my opinion
    • @Ashandarey i think what Arkadys meant is that A rly good PvE player khows the class inside out and can make something out of the pvp as well. (Just a guess tho)
      My personal experience is "PvP only" players suck big time on pve and actualyl rly good PvE palyers are at the very least 90% good in pvp too.

I've spend some time myself on the ranger and came to the conclusion that this is the class that requires the most time to get used to in terms of "regular dificulty". Slide/Jump shotting took me about 30m to master on dummy or mobs on inhabited place where i have good fps but my pc doesnt rly allow me to use this around ppl properly all the time. However i believe a person that is maining ranger and playing it for a long time IF have good PC should rly know how to be slideshotting as this is the actual strenght of the class.
      To put it more bluntly at this very moment(possibly ever) Ranger is the squishiest of all classes, Its good survivability comes from kiting and running fast (speed of wind and especially Mau form). And since most skills are groundbinding you if u dont slideshot u wont be using your "speed" to survive and will be rly easy to kill.

PS. but i have to agree with emarosa on this , some "goals" must be set as a part of the guide.
      PS2. I would also love to see this guide to be completed and made properly as this is one of the 2 classes i refuse to teach ppl as its just not my class. Having siad that i'd like to have somewhere to send rangers to read about their chars xD

The post was edited 2 times, last by t0re ().

• Ranger is certainly good BUT on current patch i'd say doesnt compare with other classes pve wise in terms of dps , i guess its CC potential compensate for that in terms of utility.
      However in PvP things are entirely different. The gap between skilled and unskilled player for a ranger is difference like from moon to the sun - quite literaly. It might be just my opinion but unskilled ranger is quite possibly the weakest of all and on the contrary rly skilled Ranger is on a par with broken classes like templar/AT/Gunner and definetely stronger than SM/Bard.

The post was edited 2 times, last by t0re ().

• What tore said ^
      It does seem that not everyone owns a ganking ranger nowadays like they used to. The ones that stuck with the class don't seem to be bothered by it so I guess in the end it's all about perspective.
      A good ranger friend told me and I quote: " before I used to take out 2-3, now I need to try my best 1v1, but it's ok".
      :)
    • @Gzus thats valid for all classes now, more or less after 5.0, 5.1 and even 5.3 classes get more and more equalized so difference in strenght between just not so vast as it used to be.
      In old patches like 2.0-3.0 Sorc were perfectly capable of killing 6 ppl in 1v6 when they're all with equal gear. Gladi could've easily fight 3 ppl with same gear as well on patches like 4.0 or so. Those times are gone and now if 1 person can kill more than 1 guy its either gear difference, big skill difference , or just skill cooldowns related.
    • Guys you are awesome. thank you all for making it clear to me. I tried each and every class out there and nothing compares to the feeling I get while playing a ranger. all I've read on forums to date is whining and complaining, but according to the truth they're just bad players and that's it.
      With your support I'm more than ever motivated to become a master of this class. Cheers!