Returning casual player

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Returning casual player

Hello. Returning player here. Used to play on NA, but since my char there got wiped for some reason, and the ping is huge, decided to start playing again with my EU char (which I had leveled to 39). Was wondering if it's still worth playing, so heres my returning newbie questions:
      1. Is there an EU server with roleplaying comminity? If so which one is it?
      2. Is rift pvp still a thing at lower levels (40-50ish)? I remember I had a ton of fun with those, and I kind of want to remain a newb. There were also random encounters with the opposing faction while doing quests and such, which were kind of fun.
      3. I heard a lot about Aion EU being p2w, and was wondering how p2w it is? Like 100eur p2w, 1000eur p2w, a million eur p2w. Like do you just have to buy gold packs, or do you need to buy all sorts of pots and stuffs for your gear off the shop?
      4. Is it possible to get the armor skins from the opposing faction? They changed the models for some of the armors and my asmo lady looks slooooty now :(.

Thanks in advance! :D
    • You kinda missed recent events, for returning players, and some xp events. The game is indeed p2w, and in every region, because it's designed like that. Our shop is more expensive than in NA but has a lot more stuff in it, like more skins etc. However, it's possible to not pay a dime and still have everything here in EU, but requires a lot of alt characters to play. Same thing in NA, you need many characters, but some things you have to buy yourself from bcm. Even people that pay have more than one account of characters. If you have enough kinah you can buy everything from broker, even AP gear and almost anything else you need, but it's easy to farm AP gear with the help of alts.

If you decided to stay and play, start new. Level 39 is like a few hours of playing but it's better on new account because you can get a 7 day gold pack and if you're keeping thing till you have enough to sell to npc (supplements at 66+), you can get away with not buying GP yourself. If you buy GP yourself, then do whatever you want. You also get +10 full set of gear at level 10 and level 55, so another reason to start new. Anyway, rifting in low level is gone, any level can go there so there's no point.

Because of how Aion works right now, with having a multitude of characters if you want to play free, people will suggest you to wait till 6.0, but it might take half a year. Almost everything is revamped in 6.0, gear as well, so a lot of actual stuff is deleted. If you decide to stay, you can settle for small things like getting a permanent mount, expanding inventories, get enchanted stigmas... and other things that won't change with 6.0.
    • 1. No
      2. No, twinking is long gone
      3. It is the most p2w so far, IMO you can only enjoy this game atm if you are a pve player and a casual player. I turned into a 100% casual pve player in 5.6 already and in 5.8 I have almost quitted. I only log in to achieve some personal goals (earn some titles, wings, craft some rare skins etc.). Pvp = suffering. You will need like a year to catch up if you start from 0.
      4. Most of the skins are the same for both factions, even if they are different then probably only different colours and same model. The only different skins are old ap sets and coin gear and probably some random world drop from low level zones.
    • Lack of RP I can deal with. I mean I never RPd before it's just that I wanted to see if there would be the possibility for this fun little past time. But rifting being dead kind of kills it for me. I hope at least abyss pvp is still there.
      From what I hear about p2w it's mostly gold packs, which I am ok with (I already got gold). The reason I asked is that I saw threads where they said people ivest crazy sums like 10+k euros, but I guess those are just a few players.
      I think I'll give the game a try anyways.
    • People have no idea what "P2W" is.

The game as it is now, is not p2w, it's p2convenience.

You can get to 75 way faster by paying, you can gear up way faster by paying.
      But you can do the same as a free user.

I am almost 100% f2p ( bought like 500 coins recently, and this is 1st time since i started again ). And I probably have better gear than 98% of Aion players.

Don't let the people who have no idea how this patch works discourage you.

Not to mention, recently, the new gear is 80 AP, which requires quite a lot of in game effort to upgrade. Once they add the soulstones to cash shop you can say this game is more closer to p2w.

As it is now? It's more unfair towards f2p, but this game is still incredibly easy.

The post was edited 1 time, last by [NICK]n00b ().

• [NICK]n00b wrote:

I am almost 100% f2p ( bought like 500 coins recently, and this is 1st time since i started again ). And I probably have better gear than 98% of Aion players.
      And you certainly play for years, had time to gather all sorts of items & kinah and might know as well how the game's economy works by now.
      Nowadays I can as well sit back, do nothing and watch my kinah piling up while logging in twice a week, because we sell off our Narakkalli loot. But well, this isn't something worth mentioning to someone who wants to start from zero.

Therefore in my opinion it depends on the goals someone has. If they want to be pro PvP players who can compete in no time most people wouldn't be able to do it (maybe if you have lots of knowledge about reselling, quite some time and eventual connections, dunno).
      If someone wants to be a 'decent player' in a few months - that's possible.

StefanMC wrote:

1. Is there an EU server with roleplaying comminity? If so which one is it?
      nope.

StefanMC wrote:

2. Is rift pvp still a thing at lower levels (40-50ish)?
      In my opinion that's a waste since 4.x :| but there might be still some stays of any sort anywhere. You can't lose exp under 50 anyway.

StefanMC wrote:

3. I heard a lot about Aion EU being p2w,
      Pay 2 Win is always a very subjective term. You can pay, you don't have to though. How successful you might be depends on yourself and the time you invest - and certainly on your personal goals. There are huge differences though if you're not as mentioned above and have no resources at all.

StefanMC wrote:

4. Is it possible to get the armor skins from the opposing faction?
      The differences are ancient history. Nowadays most armours/skins look exactly the same and nothing like the old stuff you might talk about.

StefanMC wrote:

I hope at least abyss pvp is still there.
      There are garrisons, but I doubt it's that much. Open PvP mostly happens in Esterra/Nosra nowadays and alone without gear it's mostly pointless anyway.

Gladi: 1 2
      Cleric: 1 2
      Temp: 1 2
    • Well no wonder there is no rifting nor RP. There are hardly any players to be found.

I mean I was in Sanctum on Antrishka server and in Pandemonium on Deyla and there are simply no players around. It used to be brimming full (on Deyla at leas). Wassup with this? Was there a great exodus to another Aion cluster like NA or Korea, or did people stop playing?
    • I wont advice to return back.

I did this mistake few months ago an I am felling I wasted my time.
      I will tell you the reasons why.

1. Every content of the game is somehow forcing you to use your wallet. The game and events are build now ONLY around money.
      2. The community is very bad and elites. They will totally ignoring you and more than that, if you dont succeed to have +15-20 gear you will be consider a "noob", not to mention if you are not lvl 75...
      3. PVP is non existent (and if dose exist somehow is broken by "transformers"). Everything is around pve. The game mechanics is build around stupidly hard instance where counts only HIGH dps and heals. The rest of the instaces are useless unless you dont make 1000 chars and start making afk luna and every 7 weeks you sell the manastones and buy the gear you need and the other stuff ( as 70% of the aion dose this days)
      4. The game competition is not anymore about skills and dedication is about how much do you spend on aion shop.
      5.The game is a totally p2w.
      6. Aion there is no more fun, fells like a second place of work ( not even so, my work is way more fun and also i am getting paid)

There are 2 good types of player on this game.

1. The ones that has no real life and all the do is playing 1000 accounts
      2. The ones that spend hundreds of euro on aion shop.

There is no way you can actually achieve "a game satisfaction" by playing this game.

The post was edited 3 times, last by Ironskin ().

• StefanMC wrote:

Well no wonder there is no rifting nor RP. There are hardly any players to be found.

I mean I was in Sanctum on Antrishka server and in Pandemonium on Deyla and there are simply no players around. It used to be brimming full (on Deyla at leas). Wassup with this? Was there a great exodus to another Aion cluster like NA or Korea, or did people stop playing?
      Sanctum and Panda are dead places. When the servers are active you can find most players and shops in either Esterra or Nosra, or instance servers. It's mostly dead because leveling from 1 to 66 (66 is high daeva) takes a couple of days for experienced players and almost everything 66+ you have in these 2 maps. Even the teleport to abyss you can find it in Esterra. By the way, it's a free teleport to Esterra from Sanctum, if you take the teleport statue that takes you to crucible then teleport back from inside, and available to level 10+. Also, Deyla is more populated than Antrishka, as you can see 35% vs 25%, and more info here.
    • Ironskin wrote:

1. Every content of the game is somehow forcing you to use your wallet. The game and events are build now ONLY around money.
      - not true, if u dont know your way around the game , ASK and not be as you are.

Ironskin wrote:

2. The community is very bad and elites. They will totally ignoring you and more than that, if you dont succeed to have +15-20 gear you will be consider a "noob", not to mention if you are not lvl 75...

Community in general might be bad, but there are some people trying to help, FIND THEM on your server.
      If u think u are too good "to be tought" , its your own fault.

Ironskin wrote:

3. PVP is non existent (and if dose exist somehow is broken by "transformers"). Everything is around pve. The game mechanics is build around stupidly hard instance where counts only HIGH dps and heals. The rest of the instaces are useless unless you dont make 1000 chars and start making afk luna and every 7 weeks you sell the manastones and buy the gear you need and the other stuff ( as 70% of the aion dose this days)
      Again with the transformers, i think we were clear by now that transformed chars are generally weaker than non-transformed already. Your 2nd sentence is again rly wrong like your arguments in the templar topic.
      And why i am doing "the rest of the content" then even tho i have 12341231221 chars? May be i am stupid, correct?

Ironskin wrote:

4. The game competition is not anymore about skills and dedication is about how much do you spend on aion shop.
      Once again - just no idea how to comment here...

Ironskin wrote:

5.The game is a totally p2w.
      Says a guy claming templars are useless.

Ironskin wrote:

6. Aion there is no more fun, fells like a second place of work ( not even so, my work is way more fun and also i am getting paid)
      On that one i might agree partially. You got 1 right.

Ironskin wrote:

There is no way you can actually achieve "a game satisfaction" by playing this game.
      Yeah.. how about NO
      neither 1. nor 2. are "good types of players"
      People that are good are the Skilled and brained ones, not some random guy that put 123123123 euro or has just 5000 chars, sorry to disapoint you. Having said that if u do pay or have many alts thats gonna boost you a lot, BUT only if u are good "

All in all, i would like to ask you to stop discouraging people from playing when you dont seem to have indepth sight of the game.There's nothing wrong with having your own opinion, but thats not exactly how the game is. Knowledge is everything in aion, thats for sure.
      Bare in mind Definition of strong IS NOT equal to THE STRONGEST.
      Thank you.
    • [NICK]n00b wrote:

People have no idea what "P2W" is.
      Yes, you included. We already had this conversation last month, didn't we? Some people around here think it's p2w when something is not available in the game but from shop alone.

Internet definition of p2w:

p2w definition #1 - games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items than everyone else at a faster rate
      p2w definition #2 - when you are paying for advantage which normal players don't have access to unless they either pay too or will have to grind very long (weeks and months).

Even so, be it your way, can you tell me how to farm gold packs, packaging scrolls, mail attachment scrolls, minion contract, sunayaka box, +10 manastones, 100% socketing, reset scrolls and many other stuff?

Games being p2w is not necessarily bad, most games nowadays are p2w, but as you already know, here we can trade almost anything with other player or just gift it if you can't trade. P2w is bad when something is exclusive through shop alone and there are plenty of games like that.

The post was edited 1 time, last by failboat ().

• Basically.

The problem is not that it's hard to get stuff in game. The problen is that what should take you a couple of years in game can be obtained with money in a week.

It is actually quite easy to get stuff now and I think it takes the right amount of time. Problem is if you want to catch up to the whales or (pros*...)

*you choose what you think these pros are...
    • Ironskin wrote:

I think you totally missed out casual players that don't aim to be the very best.

failboat wrote:

Internet definition of p2w:
      Well, the internet offers lots of definitions that range from:
      Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.
      from Urbandictionary

I don't know why you only quoted a part of it, maybe out of convenience, but this 'favoured' definition from this website (which is by no means the only one presented) already shows how difficult it is to define something like that.

The major questions are
      "Is it Pay2Win if I get important items faster that make me superior compared to others?"
      "Is it Pay2Win if only the one who pays can access the item that makes me superior compared to others?"

Another lower-ranked definition of it is this one:
      Any game policy where specific content needed to win is locked behind pay walls. Forcing people to pay, in order to access said content. While none can gain access to the content though other in game methods (combat, trading, etc)
      This would mean Buy2Play = Pay2Win
      (Buy2Play refers to DLC games like Final Fantasy XIV, Elder Scrolls Online etc)

At the same time Aion isn't a classical Free2Play game either. It wasn't developed to be like that, it got adjusted later on. Therefore you don't find things like "It's absolutely impossible to enhance the gear to maxlevel unless you have items you can only receive from the shop or special events".
      Certainly it's not easy either, but it's different elsewhere.

This is why you can't generalise the term since there is no exact definition of it.

testtestlab wrote:

The problen is that what should take you a couple of years in game can be obtained with money in a week.
      You can't buy knowledge about a game - and I suppose anyone who ever invested money into Aion knows that "buying a couple of years of intensive playing" costs a lot. You may as well buy a brand-new car for it probably. If you state it's easy to get certain items nowadays that might be true - but it has become easier for everyone.

failboat wrote:

Even so, be it your way, can you tell me how to farm gold packs, packaging scrolls, mail attachment scrolls, minion contract, sunayaka box, +10 manastones, 100% socketing and many other stuff?
      You and I probably know where to farm minion contracts, manastones etc.
      Some things like packaging scrolls, 100% socketing aids or mail attachments aren't necessary - just convenient. Sunayaka weapons might be the only issue, on the other hand there are alternatives for it (and the item did originate from an event - we just never had that here).

Probably everyone knows people who hardly or even never spent money and they're well-geared, good and successful players. Eventually they invested time and worked on it, but that's part of the reason for such games itself. If you don't have to work on anything you'd probably be bored right away as well.

Of course you can doubt the game's development/dislike it/criticise it (I do that as well), but throwing in a few 'populist' sentences isn't helpful and not necessarily true either. 'Truth' isn't that simple.

Gladi: 1 2
      Cleric: 1 2
      Temp: 1 2
    • Pff. I give up.

The OP asked for our oppiion. Not to write an essay to prove we are right...

Anyway. IMHO if you just want to do a bit of easy instances pve the go for it. If u aiming for top level pve or any kind of pvp it is going to be very hard.

Seems that 6.0 will make life easier for casual players though.
    • Sirkka wrote:

I don't know why you only quoted a part of it, maybe out of convenience, but this 'favoured' definition from this website (which is by no means the only one presented) already shows how difficult it is to define something like that.
      Because we already have that in the game or people agree with that part already. Just the first part that is unclear for many players. This was a very hot topic like 10-15 years ago, when we were play subscription games and p2w games started to become more known and the definition wasn't so clear, and yes this topic seems unclear for many players even today after so many years. It doesn't matter, as this is more than the op asked for.

Most of what we have (but not all of it) is also known as pay for convenience for some people but these two terms are not exclusive. Anyway, for the op, it's not hard to achieve stuff if you put in the effort. Giving my example, I made quite a few billions since I came back to the game a few months ago, and got lots of useful items, and that by playing the game and not the shop. It depends what you have in mind and what your goals are.
    • From my experience so far it seems clear that they removed the fun factor from leveling. I remember groups were mandatory even for low level pve (when "group" tagged quests had to be done), however now with the full fine daevonion armor I can solo everything easy. It's kind of like leveling up is now a chore you have to do in order to reach end game, where the fun is: there is no difficulty, no risk, nothing unforseen, you just go there and pick as many quests and get them levels. I must say it's rather disappointing the game got to this, as I remember it used to deliver a lot of value for the low level content when I played.
      However I see they want to remove some areas from the game. Which is great news, since the devs wont have to focus on maintaining those, and also the playerbase will be more concentrated in the fewer areas. I guess it will also come with faster leveling. Maybe this formula is what the game needs right now (even though they will be removing Morhim U__U). It may not be the Aion I played ages ago, but it's ok :). Guess I'll be giving it a chance. I always had a soft spot for Aion...