SERVER refresh rates

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SERVER refresh rates

I was reading an article about servers and how they work, and i stumbled upon this one " netcode-explained "
      "
      Update rate
      What adds an extra delay on top of the travel time of our data (ping), is how frequently a game sends and receives that data.
      When a game sends and receives updates at 30Hz (30 updates per second), then there is more time between updates than when it sends and receives updates at 60Hz.

By increasing the update rates you can decrease the additional delay that is added on top of the travel time of your data.

Tick rate
      The tick rate, or simulation rate, tells us how many times per second the game produces and processes data.

At the beginning of a tick, the server starts to process the data it received and runs its simulations. Then it sends the result to the clients and sleeps until the next tick happens. The faster the server finishes a tick the earlier the clients will receive new data from the server, which reduces the delay between player and server. That leads to a more responsive hit registration.
      A tick or simulation rate of 60Hz will cause less delay than a tick rate of 30Hz, as it decreases the time between the simulation steps. A tick rate of 60Hz will also allow the server to send 60 updates per second, which compared to 30Hz reduces the round trip delay between the client and the server by about 33ms (-16ms from the client to the server, and another -16ms from the server to the client).
      At a tickrate of 60Hz, the server only has a processing window of 16.66ms inside which it must finish a simulation step. So when it comes to the performance of servers running at a fixed tick rate, it’s imperative that it finishes a simulation step as fast as possible, or at least inside the processing window that is given by the tick rate.

When a server gets close to the limit, or even fails to process a tick inside that timeframe, then you will instantly notice the results: all sorts of strange gameplay issues like rubber banding, players teleporting, hits getting rejected, and physics failing.
      "

What are the GF server settings regarding "update rate" and "tick rate" ?
      Thank you very much in advance ! :)

The post was edited 3 times, last by Baldurn ().

• failboat wrote:

You won't get an answer because that explanation is like for primary school students, so they can understand basic terms. See above, someone already understood something else.
      Because 99% of people in aion are not technical at all and don't understand anything no matter how much you tell/explain things to them.

Also

Cl_Cmdrate 128
      Cl_Updaterate 128
      rate 50000

:D

Good luck finding out from GF how much data 1 person is allowed to send / receive per sec as well as how many times per second information is sent from you to the server and vice versa :)

If you can activate console some how perhaps you can open some kind of netgraph to view these stats
      twitch.tv/misto91 Come and have a look and listen to best singing cleric EU!
      youtube.com/misto9 Pve / pvp and random guides feel free to leave feedback or ask for a video :P
      facebook.com/Mistocleric Advising / videos to help the clerics of the future!
    • Well, this isn't about ping and speaking about ping, that depends of your route to their servers and the other way around, not the quality of their servers. Other games might be hosted elsewhere, having different ISP, and as we know Germany doesn't have quality internet everywhere.
    • Speaking about the quality of German internet.

ping2.jpg

Do the actual game packets take a different route?
      Like, they are visiting Thailand to pick up some "chicks", before they arrive at Frankfurt.
      That it takes them so much longer than it does for packets sent by winmtr?Í

When i contacted my ISP and asked about it, after a hour long phone call they came to the conclusion,
      there is nothing wrong on the Hungarian network.
      Other games not having this issue seem to support that statement.

So the issue is most likely somewhere between that decix / GF server.
      Decix claims to have the fastest and bestestest connection in the world.
      GF claims the issue is most likely on my end. But they can't do anything in case not.

I just wish they could play this match with each other.
      Cuz i ain't gonna pay for a vpn.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Gfis ().

• Fixing your own PC issues won't really help the bad routing done by your ISP and the ones above.
      As Click said, proxy software could help in this case. Or try another ISP if you have the option and hope it's not a reseller like the other one, which doesn't have many options in routing their data.
    • @Click
      I did call my isp. In a hour long session. Conclusion was, unless i can prove the issue is on their network, they can't do anything about it.
      I can ofc use zapper and alike, but it's kinda stupid to pay for it, when i already pay for a connection, which is supposed to provide quality service (does not).

@Wassermelone
      Excuse me but i pass on that, for instance i am on windows 7, and editing the registry never did improve my connection a bit.
      I suspect it's either what @failboat said, or it's between my isp and decix.

Edit: I have no other option for ISP, there is another one in the village, but they are just renting the very same line, more expensive, and provide less broadband.
      -------------------------------------
      I have contacted decix now again, and to my surprise they are willing to take a look at it.
      So i am exchanging emails with them, while i push the issue on my ISP's forums.
      And give another shot with aion support again.

Perhaps if i am persistent enough, something will happen.
    • Try one of the trial proxy software, or more of them, see how they do their routing, if the path is shorter or different, and the ping improves. Then show it to your ISP if it's better. It's not normal that people that live closer to GF have higher ping and people that live farther have lower ping. Even some people playing from Africa have lower ping.
    • failboat wrote:

Try one of the trial proxy software, or more of them, see how they do their routing, if the path is shorter or different, and the ping improves. Then show it to your ISP if it's better. It's not normal that people that live closer to GF have higher ping and people that live farther have lower ping. Even some people playing from Africa have lower ping.
      Indeed it isn't normal.
      Now just to make sure, by proxy software you mean vpn/gpn such as wtfast and pingzapper?
      Because i have zapper installed, since that's the only way i can play the game.
      My ping in game is still well over 60, but perfectly playable, with no delay at all.

The only issue is that i have no way to make a tracert with it. They have a built in ping option, but it only shows the ping between me and their server.
      If i could hijack tat info, and for example i'd see the individual hops, i could confirm where the issue is. But i have no idea how to do that.
      And i doubt zapper would give me that info, and work against their own business.

Correction, i found out the ip of their server.
      And the packets take different hops even within the country.
      Not sure if that means the issue is within our network but i will assume it is.
    • At least that's proof enough that there is some problem along the way, if your ping is so different with pingzapper.

Yes I was referring to vpn services like those you mentioned. I never installed pingzapper so no idea how it works but you're right, these aren't the vpn services that add to all traffic just to games you select. I haven't had wtfast since years installed but I think you could have added software like ping plotter and other stuff to it, not just games. I guess you have to dig dipper on your own on this one.
    • Wassermelone wrote:

failboat wrote:

Fixing your own PC issues won't really help the bad routing done by your ISP and the ones above.
      i recommended to try it out, so maybe it will help since windows 7 doesnt have it on its own.
      :nothingtoseehere:
      Calm down, we're talking about different things. Yes there are some automatic fixes known for many years, like leatrix, instead of doing it on your own, but that is to fix some of your windows issues and not the routing to the game servers.