Pinned Ideas for a better faction balance

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Once Wixi, just once

Regarding GMs faction changes, what I remember from GMs on the servers (best example: GF open beta test server) is that their chars got chased by NPCs, even though they were my faction
      So I assume that is not quite that easy - would be not that funny if for someone is a faction changed arranged and he gets hit by an NPC he wants to talk to

Additionally with 6.2 levelling won't be the issue to reroll, neither equipping - if you do it straight away
      It's more the abandoning of your own chars, and your vet rewards - so will need to wait how good the new vet rewards will be - eventually it will be worth it for some people to delete their old faction and make new chars ( @Galeas could you please take this into consideration)
    • Wixi wrote:

It is posible since a GM can do it with a simple command, it is posible since it has been made in the past as Evita stated. And it´s posible since those "Ely/Asmo items" can just be changed.

Lol, it´s like saying you can´t merge one server with another one because you will get House conflicts. Coding ftw!
      No, it's not possible since when you do it as a GM it creates a lot of problems. You can do it on a GM char if you don't want to play normally but will never be playable for normal characters. As I said in the video it would also not be supported by NCSoft. So a faction change is currently not an option.
    • Joolz wrote:

Not much help, but it will never be balanced and hasnt been since 2009. If it was that easy, everyone will be balancing their MMOs.

All you can offer is incentives to encourage people to roll onto the weaker faction, and crappy rewards currently on offer just dont make it appealing enough.

Basically, you need to offer:

1) Much faster levelling (both combat level and magic crafting level), because re-rolling is such a time consuming effort. I would say 250% perma exp
      2) Boost the free PVE gear you get as a returnee and offer it from level 1, make it mythic grade so that it is usable right up to level 75 and only bettered by Fallusha gear.
      3) Boost kinah/loot drops permanently until the character is 75.
      4) Give free mount/buff pet/minion from level 1.
      5) Greatly reduced AP and medal cost for buying PVP items.
      6) Perhaps free decorated house /shrug
      7) Boost in number of times can enter an instance if using gold pack, ie. if limit is 3 times per week, double it.
      8) Untradeable consumables, such as serums, flight potions, scrolls on a daily basis
      9) New and exciting character transformation candies specifically for new characters whilst race incentive period is active.
      10) Special designed wings
      11) Character remodel tickets that have multiple uses.
      12) Perma 1 kinah travel cost
      13) No soul sickness
      14) Special PVE and PVP titles that is usable up to level 75 and gives nice stats, ie. 2.5% pvp attack, 1000HP, 5% pvp defence, 3% cast/attack speed, 5% run speed, or 5% pve attack and 10% pve defence and 1500HP, 3% cast/attack speed, 5% run speed, or a title that gives 25% exp boost only.

Can you see, nice incentives, not scion crap or anything like current. Then players will re-roll.

This is how you just flip around the imbalance, not fix it. Literally the simplest solution is to LOCK char creation of the over-populated faction.... ALSO they have to be real numbers, not siege numbers, if the other faction is online as much but lazy in sieges and just ''make believe the other faction to look underpopulated'' when all they are doing is waiting for PVP buffs to go dominate for a while and sleep again, then nothing is needed.
    • Niv wrote:

Sita wrote:

Niv wrote:

However, faction imbalance should have been an issue in the past years as well and if a similar method (free staff for unpopulated faction) has been used I would advise to check how this unfolded.
      This has been the case and worry for a long time, in fact there is still the "asmodian initiative" - surveys that appear about every 5 level.Alas, with the current Scion gear, they are not really that useful anymore
      Hi,
      I was never aware of that Asmodian initiative, but if the gear provided is worse than Scion, then I can see the reason why it diddnt work.

When you give give something for free or with minimum effort to a faction and the opposing faction doesn't even know/care about it then the initiative is worthless.

Thus, I suggest you provide something that the opposing faction will be jealous of, even if that means that you will get bad feedback for supporting Asmodians. So, it should be something like endgame PvP or PvE gear (I already feel jealous for saying this).

Also, I assume whatever it is you gonna do, it will be after 6.2 is implemented. Don't forget that this is your biggest advantage atm; old players want to give it another shot and new players would like to try it. Considering how easy it is to lvl up, many might start from 0, which means they will go to the character creation page. Make sure that whatever the benefits for Asmodians, they are displayed at that page.

Last but not least, I really miss a nice trailer. Could you possibly create one other than the KR? Whereby, you can show how cool Asmo are (don't show the manes )

This is all just speculation, we cannot solve the problem by knowing so little. E.g. a serve merge with an Asmodian & Elyos-dominating servers could make the problem less significant.
      Great way to make all the opposition faction to quit for 6.2. Just Soft-Lock the over-populated factions char creation for a while at the 6.2 launch. No gear needed, as everyone has to grind 6.2 end-game gear regardless, and giving away 6.2 endgame gear for the supposedly underdog faction would only serve them to dominate for a good 2-4 months making the opposing faction prone to quit / re-roll and then Flipping around the balance issue taking us back to the start of the problem in a never-ending cycle.
    • Wixi wrote:

Wixi wrote:

Evita wrote:

So basically Faction Transfer is the best solution. Old players are the players aware of the problem, and some of them will like to swap faction. However they are not gonna start from scratch and leave their characters abandoned.
      Transfering ely to asmo side and asmo to ely is not possible because many parts of gear are faction only so is not an option....
      It is posible since a GM can do it with a simple command, it is posible since it has been made in the past as Evita stated. And it´s posible since those "Ely/Asmo items" can just be changed.

Lol, it´s like saying you can´t merge one server with another one because you will get House conflicts. Coding ftw!
      To do that takes too much time and every item of the player who want to transfer must analized and changed so is too expensive for GF and NC Soft otherwise was done until now .The only way is to delete all char and start again on other side.
    • What about a transfer without gear ?

I won't debate whether or not the gear transfer is possible or not, I personnally think they just don't want to deal the overhead it would bring.

What I have in mind is that our char would be transferred solely with its kinah and hp to (and only to) the outnumbered faction where he'd receive the lowest compensation gear planned for 6.2.

Maybe this solution could be active only in one direction when server is not balanced, and bi-directionnaly active when it is ?

I agree with Wixi on the fact that old players are key, and that some of them would like to switch side to balance faction, or just to play with friends. However I don't know if that represent a large enough number of players. Thus this transfer might have to be combined with whatever little attractive reward/faction bonus(es).
    • Alucinor wrote:

ALSO they have to be real numbers, not siege numbers, if the other faction is online as much but lazy in sieges and just ''make believe the other faction to look underpopulated'' when all they are doing is waiting for PVP buffs to go dominate for a while and sleep again, then nothing is needed.
      Oh I do know quite some of your faction that have their chars logged on my faction on afk or just bigmouthing during siege
      I wouldn't be surprised to have it the other way round as well, else you wouldn't have those trading kinah from one side to the other

We will see it with 6.2 - who gets out of the base first :P
    • Alucinor wrote:

Great way to make all the opposition faction to quit for 6.2. Just Soft-Lock the over-populated factions char creation for a while at the 6.2 launch. No gear needed, as everyone has to grind 6.2 end-game gear regardless, and giving away 6.2 endgame gear for the supposedly underdog faction would only serve them to dominate for a good 2-4 months making the opposing faction prone to quit / re-roll and then Flipping around the balance issue taking us back to the start of the problem in a never-ending cycle.
      I only proposed that for new asmo accounts, not old asmo players. Also we all know that new players might not be able to match up cause they lack of skills and experience, so an endgame gear that can be acquired by all after a while ( I heard 1 month is enough for 6.2) shouldn't be a huge deal.

And I don't think they want to lock character creation for elyos, cause that's the popular faction, hence locking it down means possibly less profit?

As I said be4 it's hard to find a solution, we are only discussing.
    • Niv wrote:

And I don't think they want to lock character creation for elyos, cause that's the popular faction, hence locking it down means possibly less profit?
      If a faction is popular can play alone ?i guess not so until a better solution blocking to create new acc/char on that faction is a good start.
    • imo with 6.0 and part of the items being account bound, specifically for people that haven't logged for a long time
      if the incentives would be right, I think people might actually do that - especially those that have been left alone by friends years ago and have more friends on the other side than their own

idk if its possible but a couple of titles and skins that are not available anymore in game, could eventually being handed out as a reward bundle - not sure if it's just a feeling but my guess is, that those could work for quite some
    • For ppl coming back after a long break and not having many valuables, levelling in 6.2:

- exp boost for outnumbered faction
      - exclusive (cosmetic) item(s)
      - a mount - this is actually a big deal as mounts are not easily obtainable for a starter on a new faction (need kinah/craft/luck in events). I didnt have a mount for a very long time on a new server so it would be nice. OFC permanent, nobody cares about half-baked incentives.
      - i dont know what you get in 6.2 while levelling but maybe some items that will actually be useful after you level up - so maybe one skill box (the one you buy for gold ingots - to compensate the lack of kinah conversion veterans will get), a supply of candies of some decent value (not the best or even 2nd best, but better than what you commonly get), etc.
      - full stigma set (+0) - i know they re cheap now but kinah is not easy to earn in 6.2 and we dont know what prices will be - one burden less to care about, esp for clerics
    • Either lock the dominating faction for a while or come up with some proper incentives that are shown when creating a character, right before they click on either faction. Once people make a char there is little chance a few mediocre surveys will persuade them to make the switch.

Honestly though, I don't really care. Being on a small faction means there's more people to kill in open world and less players to share the kills with.
    • Give veteran account benefits for the lowest populated faction. Its not like a gold pack, but lots of restrictions are not present like with a starter account. Give such status for newly created characters for 30/60 days or indefinitely and make it available only for that faction, not account bound.

Benefits:

- Newly created accounts doesnt have starter restriction, so they can use broker.
      - No danger of bot/kinah seller abuse as in 6.* most of the stuff, including kinah are untradeable.
      - People still have to buy gold packs for Instance cd's
      - Not sure about that but I think veterans have the same kinah restriction sell as gold pack users, so for the new players will be easy to make money

You can add some other stuff to that, like starting with some kinah, ap and medals. Some cosmetics ...just QoL stuff and advertise this on a banner in game or a pop up when someone choose a server. I.e. Selecting Antriksha - pop up - if you choose elyos you have following benefits ....
    • #Suggestions

Firstly, let me tell you what won't work.
      1) restricting character creation
      - we should avoid that which is a negative approach. People don't like to get "restricted".
      2) Symbolic rewards for siding with the underdog faction
      - why would anyone give up on all their current progress for some pointless rewards?! It makes no sense
      - as for new players, they're making the choice that catches their eye in that very moment, and most of them don't even know the value of the potential rewards they might get by making the other choice, assuming rewards were on the table to begin with.
      (btw, the 7 day gold pack joke asmodians had in the past was not funny)
      3) Permanent buffs for the underdog faction
      - obviously, you can only add a passive buff like that in open world pvp, because in arenas, battlegrounds, ecc would ruin everything.
      But , frankly, if the faction has low player base they won't waste time to go to sieges 50 players vs 500 enemies, regardless of the buff.

#SoWhatWillActuallySolveTheIssue

Let's make it simple and spam them with surveys that gives them huge rewards.
      Imagine: the player starts his new character, levels up and gets high end gear, with apes, serums, everything.
      Stuff that before he needed years to grind or thousands of euros to pay for.
      And to put the cherry on top of this cake, make it a limited edition type of thing.
      Let's say if that specific faction is missing 5000 players to be on par with the other faction, make it so that only the first 5000 players can get that sweet deal.
      (Or make a "join the underdog" type of free box in the shop, to instantly get rich). Once per char/account.

Result: Immediate faction balance.

Potential issue: You might give a lot for free. But ask yourself, won't you receive a lot in return as well?
      And I'm not only talking about having the factions balanced.
      I'm taking about making people happy. And if people are happy, they will continue and more will come, as happiness is contageous, just as hate towards Gameforge is.
      ...It takes one little push to turn everything around.
    • Click wrote:

Free 75 Level instant for outnumbered factions for 1 character per account and in addition a +10 Holy Apollon set + Weapon and some sort of okish accessoires, maybe some greywolf medals and soulstones so people can buy greywolf accs.
      Those items ofc have to be untradeable.
      how pve trash can help vs full pvp +20-25 gear ppl?
      For GoK even LoK set with wolf accessorie not a problem which means Scion set already good. For phys classes - change weapon and ench it. For magic classes... just get mb cap (they even dont need ench gear for good dps)
      For nara - only premades, only gg, only exp.
      For ppl who are not pve heroes that pve trash only eyesore.

Idea simple - 6.2 without p2w. Or 2.0, 2.2, 3.0. Just stop that p2w moves.

@Sita, why they didnt add my comment to tavern video? And not only mine. My friends have same situation.
    • In my opinion, all this discussion here is somehow kind of misunderstanding. My point of view is that: The real problem is low number of playing people, if there would be more people playing, the problem with balanced servers fraction will be automatically, and naturally resolved... by players, not by GF staff actions

The real answer on question "how to do to help the game to live again" are on this forum from long, long time, in the topic where players ask you to not change anything in patch 6.x.

The most amazing things in path 6.x is that, this path is for both f4p and p4w people. If you do not mess up with anything like drop rate, enhancing possibility or quests rewards, if you let this patch to be nice and play-joy-able for everyone, then population of sewers will grow in time.... of course you can add little nice things, like extra rewards for people who decide to play on less populated fraction (depends of servers) it will be nice, but in my opinion not necessary if patch 6.x will be as cool as he should be.

if you make path 6.x like nothing else than p4w (events / items / bonuses etc.) then we will see a quick grow up in online (everybody will want to see the big changes in AION), but it will be transitory effect... for short time, cause then patch 6.x will be nothing else than continuation of current patch 5.x.

Actually many players are just tired up with all what happening here now... I know that this situation is not only GF fault, but also NCsoft fault... but honestly you are our primary contact in terms of giving our opinion, so basically we players blame you for that - this is nothing personal against you, as person, this is my opinion against GF game management policy
      ….

So do not lose energy/time to think about balance race on servers right now, think about what to do in terms of making patch 6.x a big success (#makeAIONgreathAGAIN) - cause as you notice in latest 'daeva tawern' episode many players do not play aion right now waiting to see 6.x and in my opinion this will not change no matter what you do now

(small off topic - sorry Galeas, I really like you, but...I was dying from laugh when you say that nowadays in AION we, as players, have a big things to do waiting for patch 6.x - and then you says: making old craft for skins ...r-r-r-r-really????? even you, as part of company governing this game, do not have any BETTER idea what players have to do in current aion???? so I guess not playing and waiting for 6.x is better way to spend my time XDDDDDDD)

I hope you can see my point of view (sorry for my English, it not my native language) and have a nice day all of you!^^
    • Might be stupid idea but can you put a live scoreboard at the character creation page or at the login page, where ppl can see how many neviwinds were won by the asmodian faction and how many by the elyos faction on that day (being updated constantly after each nevi).

From the 10 runs I do, I win 2. New players might choose the side who is winning (I bet that will be asmodian every day).

Just a thought.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Niv ().