How to have fun in Aion?? [short time playing, beginner level]

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to have fun in Aion?? [short time playing, beginner level]

Hello everyone!

I want to play Aion over the weekend, but find myself a bit overwhelmed by the changes. With no trace of false modesty, I must admit that I am VERY bad at playing [3D games mess with my brain, because I never see the enemy coming1].

I played on Telemachus as a fifty-something Assassin [too hard to level up without gear], a character I do not delete because at least last time I checked I still was a member of our guild back then. A few years ago, I whipped up a gunner -they're at level 30-something and boy do I suck at ranged classes too.

So: How can I make the most out of my Aion-weekend? Is there hope for a poorly-played, under-geared char to withstand PvP areas (not that it ever was the case, but assuming that lvl 30sth rifts do not pose such a theat anymore or due to lower player count, a stronger represention of players in the higher level echelon etc.) ? Or should I just make a new char and grind my brains out; in that case: what is an "easy" class to play for solo PvE since 6.0?

Thanks in advance!

[1] it's the fermented grape juice
    • Bard and chanter are simpler classes to play in terms of mechanics. By the way, ti is normal to suck really bad as an assassin until you get very good with mechanics, instead of a learning curve that class has a learning cliff...

To have fun I recommend making friends in game. It helps a lot with the experience, bunos points if you get a real life friend to join with you and play with.
    • crittles wrote:

everything that can heal is good for beginner pvp in this patch, chanter probably the best. How to have fun? You don't. You will see what i mean after you try to get full legendary gear
      Thanks for your response! I am not sure I'll get so far in the game to need legendary armor ... thenagain, I leveled up to 42 in a day ...

Vichel1 wrote:

Bard and chanter are simpler classes to play in terms of mechanics. By the way, ti is normal to suck really bad as an assassin until you get very good with mechanics, instead of a learning curve that class has a learning cliff...

To have fun I recommend making friends in game. It helps a lot with the experience, bunos points if you get a real life friend to join with you and play with.
      Thank you for your reply and your thoughts on assassins! Although I am still convinced that I am just bad ^^" I could try to approach other players, but I have yet to remember how to use the chat box ... I'll level up some more, maybe then.
    • Leveling right now is easy, you reach max level quickly by doing campaigns + dark blue quests, low level content is basically non existent since you level up so fast and everyone is at end game and that's where it's at currently.

Fun is subjective, what's "fun" for some may not be for you, you need to basically set up "rules" and "goals" that matches you : how much time you have to play ? what's your focus PvE, PvP or both ? What do you want from the game ? How seriously do you take this game ? and so on...

Since you only plan on playing a bit on weekends I assume you only want to have some fun in the game without too much stress and frustrations. If you only care about PvE mainly, while not taking PvP seriously it's doable. The game is definitely more fun with friends like any MMO, but there's some people that enjoy the solo life and doing fine so that depends, if you prefer playing with others try to get into a legion that's not too serious about the game and that only wanna do stuff together for fun.

As for the choice of class, you definitely wanna pick something that's fun for you and that you like, that will help in the long run, what do you like to have in a class ? Do you like ranged or melee ? You prefer being a Tank, Heal/Support, DPS ? Do you like AOEs ? You said you want an "easy" class for solo PvE but in what terms ?
    • Thanks for the advice! I realise that what I am asking can be quite cheeky. Yes, the problem is complex as I ought to consider the many, many variables that come into play, decide which "goals" I have etc.

But I do have a goal. I want to have fun. It's pretty straight-forward. It's not like I lack perspective, but (for a "quick fix") I was hoping to project my expectations on to the experiences of other people - while bearing the risk of being disappointed. That in itself is fun because I would be exploring the game. I would be playing per se.

I do agree, @papichulo, that a single-player game would be better designed for my type of play. But I have two (in my opinion very good) reasons for choosing to return to Aion: (1) hecking nostalgia and (2) I wanted to play for a mind-numbing two days and I had some experience with Aion, not so much with othe games. Hence, I thought I would have an easier time getting back into Aion than learning something new (as mentioned above, I suck).

Quick correction: I wanted to play on this weekend only. I actually thought it could be fun to see what people could recommend to do for roughly two days in the game (I was honestly a bit overwhelmed by the changes and was happy about any advice). Now I realise, it was a miscalculated question, wasn't it? I mean I agree. You need to invest a certain amount of time constantly and actually think things through a lot. But I am not ready for a relationship.

I'll see my self out, I guess. Still, I am thankful for everyone who has taken the time to read and reply to this thread! Cheers :D
    • You can only have fun by just only doing PvE as a beginner for a short time. PvP is gear based, skill doesn't matter much like old times, gear=win at least for now so you won't be able to have fun doing PvP. PvE is your only option and that's what people do these times since there are no pvp content much and people doesn't wanna do PvP with trash transformation and gear.
    • Please tell me, is this in which version of aion pvp was independent of equipping and enchanting?
      Provide details and give examples with video,where the stripped character kills the dressed one, due to the high quality of the game.
      2019 comes and people still believe in fairy tales.
    • Enjoykin wrote:

Please tell me, is this in which version of aion pvp was independent of equipping and enchanting?
      Provide details and give examples with video,where the stripped character kills the dressed one, due to the high quality of the game.
      here you go no gear at all xD
    • Best for new pps class is Ranger ...

1.No ned for transformation u have perma mau )almost but u know what ui meant)
      2.U can almost pvp naked they boost their dmg AF
      3.If u find hard counter just sleep him and run away
      4. if u see zerg just put some traps sleep em as well
      5.If they faster than u (charge) just blind em, root em than run away
      6. aaaand u have hide...........(noone buying seed noone have kinah...)

.....Nerf Rangers !!!!! :) (i made one as well in gok gear i clean narakalii for shugo without problem)
    • Bob wrote:

Enjoykin wrote:

Please tell me, is this in which version of aion pvp was independent of equipping and enchanting?
      here you go no gear at all xD
      As I assumed that the video will be in the style of the 2.5+ version. There was no such indicator as the Magic Suppresion, and plate characters suffered more. This era was called the era of 1 button from sorc.
      Please keep on remembering that was almost 8 years ago,and thanks for video.
    • @g.raff Well 2 days only are not really enough to play an MMO lol it's not a single player game that you will "finish" except if you play it like such that means doing the "story mode" aka the campaigns and then not play again, it's kind of an investment over time.

Enjoykin wrote:

The PvP "balance" in terms of gear started getting real bad at the introduction of serums imo, with enchanting accs and plumes and even then it was not really the level of what we have now. From there on out it started getting worse and worse t'ill today. I think pre serums introduction it was good balance gear wise, and even after it it was not as bad as 5.x and now.

The more there's huge difference between gear stats and tiers (and number of pieces of gear increasing) the more there's huge gaps between players. Gear matters as long as there's gear dedicated to PvP with PvP stats, and this was in Aion since beginning, if it didn't exist and it was intented to PvP in PvE gear yeah sure but then gear will still matter cause of the difference in stats and tiers.

The difference between recent patches and before is that there wasn't very huge gaps and people had more chances to fight back / survive or catch up to be even and competitive too, with a bit of dedication anyone could have decent gear for PvP to be "fun", but sure if you want top stuff you'll to have second life in game lol but that wasn't necessary, right now and from 5.x it felt like to be even decent like before you had to treat the game as a second job.

Vichel1 wrote:

Enjoykin wrote:

Vichel1 wrote:

chanter are simpler classes to play in terms of mechanics
      Very high quality commentary, immediately felt an experienced player. 8o
      Compared to the assassin that the guy was playing before, yes, chanters are simpler to play in terms of mechanics.

Most of the classes this patch got that treatment, some got less of it some more but I don't really feel anymore a class being "challenging" to play or very difficult, they just had this idea to simplify everything and have less skills for "accessibility". Talking about Chanter yes definitely is more simpler than before and is now pretty much unkillable to some extent in PvP.
    • I'd follow a precise strategy.Pick one of the top tier classes that do not require perfect gear to be played: cleric, chanter, ranger, bard, sorc/sm.

I would recommend you pick either one of the first 3. Why? Because they perform quite well without super good gear just using their own buffs.

Now the key point: you do not want to buy pvp garrisons' gear, you buy an ultimate noble crafted set. This will save you a massive headache at the cost of a somewhat high price in terms of kinah.
      Purple jewels are also very acceptable.

As for pve, enjoy the content without rushing it.