Elo/mmr system in Aion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Elo/mmr system in Aion

Could You buy from NCsoft implementation of elo/mmr system in Aion?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Many new games contain this system (League of Legends, Dota2, Counter Strike, Heroes of the Storm, Rocket League, Smite, Blade & Soul). It would work perfectly in Battlegrounds like Jormungand Marching Route, Runatorium, Kamar Battlefield and arenas like (Arena of Chaos, Arena of Discipline, Arena of Cooperation). Every player would have own elo rating and in case of group arenas/battlegrounds team's elo rating should be average of its members. Elo/mmr system would increase competition in game. It would allow to create rankings and attract many PvP players. Catching up with new standards in game would help to keep Aion alive or even make It even more popular. It shouldn't be a problem to implement it for NCsoft since same company made it already in their other MMORPG - Blade & Soul. Of course it requires time and money. I would suggest to start at least with separation of Group Entry and Quick Entry. Premade groups should face only other premade groups and Quick Entry groups should face only other Quick Entry groups. Let's make game more fun, let's make game more competitive!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Livo ().

• Livo has asked me to give insights into what Aion matchmaking system is like in other regions so here it is:

With the 3.5 update, Aion KR has introduced integrated matchmaking system in cross-server PvP instances:
      aion.power.plaync.com/wiki/%EA…D%88%AC%EA%B8%B0%EC%9E%A5

매치 메이커 적용
      매치 메이커란, PvP 인던에서 비슷한 실력자끼리 매칭되도록 지원하는 시스템이다. PvP 인던의 승률과 승점에 따라 레이팅 값이 주어지고, 레이팅 값이 비슷한 대상끼리 매칭되도록 지원하는 것이다.

Imprementation of Matchmaker
      Matchmaker is the system to support and match players of similar skill level. Each player is given a rating (Elo/MMR) in accordance of their Win/Lose ratio and score points, and thus players of similar rating value is matched to face.

In the summer of 2014 (July-August), NCSoft Aion Korea Team resetted the ratings and revamped the system:
      aion.power.plaync.com/wiki/%ED…%B0%A4%EC%9D%98+%EC%8C%88

매치 메이커 레이팅 초기화?
      Matchmaker rating reset?

매치 메이커란,PvP 인던에서 비슷한 실력자끼리 매칭되도록 지원하는 시스템이다. PvP 인던의 승률과 승점에 따라 레이팅 값이 주어지고, 레이팅 값이 비슷한 대상끼리 매칭되도록 지원하는 것이다.
      Matchmaker is the system to support and match players of similar skill level. Each player is given a rating (Elo/MMR) in accordance of their Win/Lose ratio and score points, and thus players of similar rating value is matched to face.

레이팅 초기화로 인한 변화
      이러한 PvP 인던의 레이팅 값이 7월 30일 초기화되었다. 그 동안 누적된 레이팅 값으로 인해서 한정된 상대와의 대결만 주로 발생하였다면, 레이팅 초기화로 더욱 다양한 상대와 대전할 수 있게 된 것이다.
      Changes affected by the reset
      The rating values were resetted for such PvP instances on July 30th. The accumulated rating value in the mean time let players face only a limitied number of opponents, with the rating reset it will let players face more variety of opponents.

매치 메이커 적용 인던
      매치 메이커 레이팅이 적용된 PvP 인던은 다음과 같다.
      Machmaker-supported instnaces
      The PvP instances that are now supported by matchmaking are as followed.

전장 투기장 PvP instances
      [61~65] 철벽의 결전장 Steel Wall Bastion Battlefield
      [61~65] 격전지 카마르 Kamar Battlefield
      [61~65] 루나토리움 Runatorium
      [61~65] 요르문간드 진격로 Jormugand's Marching Route
      [56~60] 사드하 드레드기온 Terath Dredgion
      [51~55] 찬트라 드레드기온 Chantra Dredgion
      [46~50] 바라나트 드레드기온 Dredgion
      [46~50 / 51~55 / 56~60 / 61~65] 고독의 투기장 Arena of Discipline (and the training equivalent)
      [46~50 / 51~55 / 56~60 / 61~65] 혼돈의 투기장 Arena of Chaos (and the training equivalent)
      [46~50 / 51~55 / 56~60 / 61~65] 협력의 투기장 Arena of Cooperation (and the training equivalent)
      * 레이팅 점수는 각 PvP 인던별로 따로 부여된다. *Rating value is assigned differently/separately on each PvP instances.

As well NCSoft Aion Korea Team brought an event where players of top rankings in Arena of Discpline were given prizes:
      aion.plaync.com/board/eventwinner/view?articleID=431
      Prizes included were such as:
      3x Holy Serum
      Emote - Martial Arts
      Top players from the 50 servers (yes, Aion KR did have 50 servers at the time) as well as Top 11 players of each class were given these prizes.

The Elo/MMR ladder is not made visible to the public as it is on the server-side (except for the events like this where they post the top rankings).
      There were big debates on the official Korean Aion website forum among the developers and the players at the time whether to reveal these rankings public or not.

In summary, Aion players in Korea and North America are given enjoyable PvP experience settings in such cross-server instances as they are each given rating based on their Win/Lose ratio within these cross-server PvP instances (I know that NA has the system implemented as I've played in NA before [I live in NA] and talk quite often with the players in NA, I am however clueless of how it is in other regions such as Russian, Taiwanese, Chinese and Japanese). The system works quite well "to an extend", meaning that top-end players with high W/L ratio face the opponents that equal to their W/L ratio accordingly, and the low-end (or beginners) do not need to worry about meeting end-game geared, experienced players to destroy their cross-server PvP experience.

In Korea, they reset the rating quite often (as I've observed, it is bi-annually, every 6 months). As I watch many Korean Aion players' livestreams and/or recorded videos, I could often stumble upon them commentating and making jokes of the rating reset every often as they are entertained at meeting "easy" players that provide no challenge upon the rating reset. However as the time goes on, the players' rating stabilize and the system adapts in matchmaking players with similar W/L ratio (or skills), similar to that of ranked scenes in other popular MOBA's such as League of Legend, DoTA 1&2, Smite, etc.

As for Gameforge's Aion EU, I'm yet to see any signs of matchmaking in cross-server PvP instances. I was 2nd person on my server to achieve 50x Arena of Glory title on my sorcerer in 3 weeks upon the 3.5 Arena of Glory introduction. Since then for 2 years I still face randomly-matched "noob" opponents. Of course, when it is down-time and not many players applying at the time, the system has to just put together whoever is applying at the time. However, even during peak "rush-hour" times, I'm still facing random low-end players, which lets me doubt that Gameforge ever implemented the same matchmaking system that Korean and North American Aion support. Same goes for any other cross-server PvP instances, not just the arenas, but the group instances such as Runatorium of Jormugand's Marching Route. My team mates and I all have substantially high Win/Lose ratio in group PvP, and yet often times we face total low-end players that seem to have just started playing the game a few days ago.

The post was edited 2 times, last by [NICK]tarumous ().

• I am sure EU got the same matchmaking system as every other version since every region receives the same patches. Sometimes there are minor changes, but overall the content and the mechanics are the same. Additionally, I remember having read something about the introduction of an arena matchmaking system some years ago. Don't know which patch it was though.

~Cyan
    • Cyan wrote:

I am sure EU got the same matchmaking system as every other version since every region receives the same patches. Sometimes there are minor changes, but overall the content and the mechanics are the same. Additionally, I remember having read something about the introduction of an arena matchmaking system some years ago. Don't know which patch it was though.

~Cyan
      I'm sorry Cyan, but when last time did u play Aion? Where can u see any MMR (Matchmaking Rating) system in our arenas / battlegrounds? If we have it, it's turned off.
    • I spent the last hours reading patchnotes and this is what I found:
      In the “Crucible Coliseum” and in “Dredgion”, players with similar skills face and fight each other.
      Source: Patchnotes 3.9

Yes, it isn't much but it indicates there should be some kind of matchmaking system in the background. Even though I do not go arena that often (prefer open PvP and Dred), I am curious about this and will forward your request.

~Cyan
    • Cyan wrote:

I spent the last hours reading patchnotes and this is what I found:
      In the “Crucible Coliseum” and in “Dredgion”, players with similar skills face and fight each other.

Yes, it isn't much but it indicates there should be some kind of matchmaking system in the background. Even though I do not go arena that often (prefer open PvP and Dred), I am curious about this and will forward your request.

~Cyan

Well i can be wrong, but maybe it refers to group "skills", i mean if i fight against 3 plates, 2 chains and 1 cloth, and i enter with quick entry feature the system will try to set up the same amount of plate-chain etc. i'm facing.
      I never saw a quick entry group without cleric or healing class, and most of the time with the same classes we are grouping with, no matters if they fight/afk/return.
      Regards
    • Click wrote:

We have no matchmaking system at all behind our arena system.
      Every week i am facing the same afk people over and over again.
      Not a single decent player in solo arena.

Maybe the game thinks you're at their level. :love:

Seriously though, arenas are the thing I enjoy most in this game (discipline mainly). I love having good fights in their with similar geared and skilled opponents. As entries are limited to one per day, it is a huge pain to get some afker or daeva-set geared lowbie, which is the big majority of my arenas...
    • Cyan wrote:

I spent the last hours reading patchnotes and this is what I found:
      Quoted

The only real matchmaking system we have is, that quick entry groups will (almost) never be without a healer.
      Can often be seen in TDDG: 5 Sorcs 1 Bard etc.
      If i remember correctly, this is what got introduced with 3.9.

PS: stop believing in patchnotes, they are not often correct - see Siege times of Pangea and Anoha nowadays.

@stallari: that might actually be true, but how those randoms and AFKs get on a 95% win ratio in Discipline arena then :S
    • Thanks to Tarumous for backing this up with proper proof, really.

I've never noticed any kind of matchmaking system in eu aion for the years I play so I hope GF staff checks up on this fast.

This is a huge part of the game, getting rank 9s in pvp instances is no fun.
    • There is simply no way Aion EU has a properly working matchmaking system in place. If I quick entry JMR/KB,RT, 85% of the time my group contains really poor geared people in that crappy free pve gear(!) against a premade full of 4-star officers and generals. Sorry GF, but there is no matchmaking in Aion EU. Either that or EU is full of poor geared players...

The only time I have quick entried and met comparable team is in old school dredgion, very rarely I see premades in there (but does happen ofc).

But matchmaking aside, the most important issue for me is doing something about the AFK idiots. The game really needs a vote kick system. And yeah, I can see from AFK persons point of view, they go AFK because of the lack of proper matchmaking system, I understand that, but there are many people who simply go AFK even against randoms, which is so freakin annoying. AFKers need to get auto kicked or receive 0 reward.

There also needs to be a gear scoring check, like in Tera.

I really dont mind quick entries and having no healer, as long as people have brain, so can GF implement brain scan too...

And finally, for the love of god, stop rewarding PVE heroes with PVP rewards. Keep the bloody things separate for once. Players go SWB, they get pve gear, no HP. Players go SWBB, they get HP.

The post was edited 2 times, last by ThereIsNoGod ().